Tuesday, June 27, 2006

in answer to your question...







"will it stand...?" You bet. Here's the finished piece outside CIA's Future Center in the "courtyard"... When it stood, (not weakly, but very securely...) a case of beer was lost...

There are some much more stunning pictures of the piece... (the piece isn't crooked... the camera isn't level... my photography) however they keep loading sideways... I'm not as tech savy as I should be so I don't know how to fix it. I think eventually they'll be posted on CIA's website (www.cia.edu)

Assistants on the project included:

Benjamin Rodriguez, jr (benrodjr.com)
Katie Loesel
Derek Gelvin
Jeremy Felice

Search them on the web. I know that Katie, Ben and Slate have websites. (I hope I spelled Katie's last name right. Sometimes it helps to add "art" to the search.)

Again it was tremendous fun working with the young people. (I intentionally didn't include photos with them simply because this is a private blog.) They were so committed...!

2 comments:

Anna said...

This is beautiful!! It's made of....earth??

What kind of earth, and is it mixed with anything else?

laney2217 said...

It's made of fire clay, red art clay, sand, lava rock (heavy on the red iron oxide) and a little bit of portland as a binder. It's mostly being held together by having been rammed into the form (hence the name of the process - rammed earth). It's very durable... kind of a high tech sand castle.