Tuesday, May 02, 2006

drive by...

Dear beloved all,

I have “discovered” Drive By Truckers (for those out of the loop – music). I remember, Anna, sitting in a one room apartment that was crammed so full of recording equipment that there was only a shelf for its resident to sleep on…

Being here has given me a different perspective… It has been a long time coming. I remember sitting in “joe”… and I remember a group of people coming in and I said something scathing to my companions concerning how “they” were dressed and even uttered the word “red neck.” Mr. Giles gave me a cold eye and said, “Lane, how can you say something like that? How can you be so cruel?”

“What are you talking about?”

“Lane, those are your people. They are from the same place you are. Who are you to be a snob to them?”

Ouch. – but thanks again Mr. Giles.

You cannot be inside from the outside. You cannot reject what made you without rejecting some part of yourself. You cannot hold your own in contempt without self-loathing.

… and so thanks Mr. Hood, et. al. for “Outfit”, “Decoration Day” – and your ability to be authentic without pretension – You guys rock!

Ciao babies…

1 comment:

Anna said...

Well, bless your heart, baby girl. :)

You'll always be one of the greatest southern comforts in my ever-expanding memory.

It took me a while too, to embrace the beauty of this culture I was born to. There's ugliness here (I can't look at a Rebel flag without pain), but there's also an expansive heart, and a knack for civilization that really doesn't exist anywhere else in this country. And sweet tea. (That's tea brewed with love and sweetened with sugah, for those ignorant of the wonders of that blessed draught). ;)